Morgan Motor Company
Design Rule, Dassault Systèmes
Products & Services Involved
ENOVIA, CATIA, 3DEXPERIENCE
“We need to upgrade our systems” is a statement which is normally met with a resounding sigh as people anticipate the cost, complexity, testing effort and fear of not knowing what could go wrong.
That said, ‘normal’ isn’t a word typically associated with Morgan Motor Company.
Morgan Motor Company are well known for their iconic hand built British sports cars and their impressive manufacturing skills. Having been in business since 1909 it’s tempting to focus on their fascinating history but that would detract from their equally impressive desire to continually strive forward and invest in opportunities to protect and improve their profitability, growth, product line and customer experience.
“I want Morgan to be progressive, I want us to stay at the front edge. I don’t want us to be laying back just because we’re successful - we’re looking to the future.”
Graham Chapman, Technology Director at Morgan Motors.
Morgan Motor Company’s decision to invest in improving their legacy systems and processes became much easier when they realised they could reduce their recurring costs, remove business risks and futureproof their facility by upgrading to the 3DEXPERIENCE platform through their existing long-term partners Design Rule Ltd.
By using CATIA in conjunction with ENOVIA from the Dassault Systèmes 3DEXPERIENCE portfolio, the product designers are at the forefront of the industry and are benefitting from significant benefits. Cost/Time reductions include:
• The ability to convert a concept ‘sketch’ to a 3D CAD Model
• Efficient collaboration and speedier design reviews
• Automatic calculation of weld types and weld lines
• Exporting stereolithography files for 3D printing
• Easily find and re-use existing parts
• Advanced sheet metal design tools (BENDPart)
• Transmittals (configuration managed sharing of data with suppliers)
• Automatic generation of neutral view files which can be shared as PDFs
• Automatic Part Numbering
The business risks which were mitigated include:
• Hardware and software are within support
• Reduced requirement to increase headcount of design team
• Suppliers can use their existing CAD systems
• Meaningful metrics
• Ability to identify, focus on and ‘manage the exceptions’
• Reduction in cost of database solution
Planned future benefits
• Bill of Material Management in ENOVIA
• Project Management in ENOVIA
• Control and management of Non-CAD Data
As the upgrade enables ‘co-existence’ of different CAD solutions, this means that Morgan Motor Company can continue to seamlessly collaborate with customers and suppliers irrespective of their CAD version.
Morgan Motor Company future-proofed their business in this upgrade, which took just eight-weeks to complete. Graham Chapman, Technology Director at Morgan Motors, commented on the experience -
“We made the right decision – the upgrade’s gone well and Design Rule have put a lot of effort into it. Design Rule have been very supportive, and I feel we’ve got value for money – already the team are seeing the benefits from using it. We have a great working relationship and trust the team”
The Morgan Motor Company implementation of 3DEXPERIENCE software is exciting not just because of the time, cost and efficiency savings the company has already started to see. Implementing PLM and CAD software is about more than the advantages of doing things better; it’s about being in control, anticipating organisation and market challenges and responding to them in the best way possible.
Morgan Motor Company can enjoy their industry leading position for now but as always, they aren’t the type of company to rest on their laurels.
For more information on Morgan Motors visit their website at https://www.morgan-motor.co.uk.
For more information on Dassault Systèmes solutions call +44 (0)1604 491661 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.